Monday, December 21, 2009

#2 The Antlers "Hospice"

Bookmark Too Roads Indie Blog

 Where to begin.....
Let me start by saying that this is probably the most immense and emotionally gripping concept album of 2009, and in my opinion, of all time. With recently added members, The Antlers is basically the project of front-man and, well, creator, Peter Silberman. The album is clear and foggy story-wise, with the story consisting of Silberman's year and a half isolation and introverted behavior after a tragic occurrence. There have been many similar yet varying interpretations of this album. In fact, in a recent interview with thetripwire.com, Silberman states, “I don’t want to decide for anyone what it’s about," and so I am going to respect that. However, Silberman leaks, in that same interview, "Basically, what I would say the album is about, I would say this for the sake of anyone who would listen to it, it’s about an experience I had in a very emotionally abusive relationship and the pulling myself out of that, and the effect that it had on my life at the time." So with that in mind, using it in context with the music, The Antlers have created a magnificent and emotionally draining album.  Each and every song are poignant and beautifully created, with crescendos the size of mountains and lyrics that will undoubtedly deliver chills. I must warn you, however, that this album is not a "pick-up-listen-like album", maybe for some, but for most it will take many listens and time to enjoy....."Hundreds of thousands of hospital beds, and all of them empty but mine"............


No comments: