Friday, February 12, 2010

An Arsenal of New Music!

I have discovered quite a lot of interesting things over these last couple of days. Some new songs, bands and videos. But now I get the privilege to share them with you! But where to begin? hmmmm.
I guess I'll start with what I'm most stoked on.

The Antlers have created a beautiful, forlorn video for their (my favorite) song, "Bear"! The band is shown sitting in a wintry, silver forest, clad in all black. Meanwhile, there is a women shown struggling with a carriage with a large black ball. She falls and spills the ball, discouraged until the band members come to her aid. Quite a lovely video.

 The Antlers - "Bear"



Secondly, I came upon a band by the name of Warpaint. They are an all-girl band from Los Angeles who create lethargic, mellow music that reveals similarities to Cat Power and Beach House. I was introduced to them on a song called "Billie Holiday", a gorgeous but sad sounding encounter. The vocals are harmonized and soothing as they spell out "Billie Holiday" in a cleverly-made melody. But the intriguing part of this song is the "half-cover" of Smokey Robinson's "My Guy" they incorporate into the middle of the song.

"Billie Holiday" Free MP3





Now for a bit of comic relief from both of those lovely but downtrodden songs, here is a band by the name of The Cobbs with a folky, honky tonk song called "Say You Never Knew Me".

"Say You Never Knew Me" - The Cobbs


Stream their latest full length album "Sing The Deathcapades"

4 comments:

milli said...


good rich bag calvin, thanx! ;)*

Calvin Ramsey (TooRoads) said...

no no no.
Thank YOU!
=)

Anonymous said...

The Antlers are amazing. I'm glad the video for Bear turned out so well. It's one of my favourite songs(Epilogue is my favourite but it does share the same melody) and Iwas worried it would ruin it.

Calvin Ramsey (TooRoads) said...

Ya, the video is very suiting for the song. "Were Terrified of one another, terrified of what that means"...uh! so good haha.